CLEAN (Coastal Livelihood and Environmental Action Network) has been established in 2010 with active participation of like-minded persons and environmental groups of the coastal zone of Bangladesh. CLEAN inherits its ancestral organization Humanitywatch which was established in 1998. On the way of journey, CLEAN plays the role of the secretariat of Bangladesh Working Group on External Debt (BWGED), Sundarbans Watch Group and SDG Watch Bangladesh.
We promote Local Ecosystem Based Adaptation (LEBA) to ensure sustainable livelihoods of natural resource dependent coastal communities through environmental protection. To this end, we work with smallholders and women farmers, fisher folks, forest peoples, indigenous communities, and other producers to protect natural resources like forests, common water bodies, land resources, mineral resources and atmosphere from grabbing by powerful groups including International Financial Institutes (IFIs), corporate companies and vested interest groups. We also work with schoolteachers and students, academia, researchers, sociopolitical leaders, media, Local Government Institutes (LGIs) and local administrations to create enabling environment for people and the ecology.
We serve the natural resource dependent people in the sectors of Agriculture and Livelihoods, Climate Change, Environment & Forest, Health & Population, Humanitarian Response, Socioeconomic Justice and Water Governance.
CLEAN has been registered independently under Trust Act of Bangladesh vide registration number Khulna-324.
Mission & Vision
Vision: to establish poverty free, environment friendly secular society with equity and justice.Mission: to ensure environment friendly sustainable development and smallholder producers’ rights through delivering essential supports to the deprived communities, service delivery, social action research, campaign and advocacy.
CLEAN is governed by 5-members Steering Committee who are elected by 15-members Trustee Board for every five years. The Trustees represent the society’s most intellectual part from all over the coastal zone of Bangladesh. The Steering Committee sits quarterly while the Trustee Board sits half-yearly to assess the progress of programmes and endorse activities, financial dealings and future plans. Annual General Meeting of the Trustee Board is the highest authority of CLEAN to approve annual programmes, activities, financial reports and future plans.
We work directly in the southwest coastal zone of Bangladesh consisting Khulna, Bagerhat, Satkhira, Jessore and Narail district. We implement our programs in the other districts such as Barisal, Barguna, Bhola, Chittagong, Comilla, Cox’s Bazar, Feni, Jhalokathi, Kishoreganj, Natore, Noakhali, Patuakhali, Pirojpur, Sunamganj and Sylhet through our networking and ally organizations.
We are a team of young, energetic and enthusiastic members who have expertise on different issues. Our core team members are:
- Hasan Mehedi, Chief Executive (Specialization: Overall Management & Campaign)
- Mahbub Alam Prince, Coordinator (Specialization: Programme Management)
- Shuborna Islam Disa, Finance and Admin Officer (Specialization: Financial Management)
- Sajjad Hossain Tuhin, Research Coordinator (Specialization: Biodiversity & Taxonomy)
- Utsargo Roy, ICT Coordinator (Specialization: Language & Information Technology)
- Israth Rabeya, Research Officer (Specialization: Environmental Management)
- Anik Hasan, Info Centre Officer (Specialization: Literacy & Information Management)
- Avilash Roul, Principal Scientist and Guest Faculty at IGCS of IIT Madras, Chennai, India
- Khasru Chowdhury, Environment and Forest Advisor, Daily Prothom Alo, Dhaka, Bangladesh
- Vidya Dinker, President, Indian Social Action Forum (INSAF), New Delhi, India
- Ziaul Hoque Mukta, General Secretary, Campaign for Sustainable Rural Livelihoods (CSRL), Dhaka, Bangladesh
- Sazzadur Rahim Pantha, Chairperson
- Hasan Mehedi, Members Secretary
- Sharmin Zaman Kakoli, Treasurer
- Tamanna Akter Lipi, Steering Committee Member
- Nurul Alam Masud, Steering Committee Member
Board of Trustees
- Sazzadur Rahim Pantha, Chairperson (Director, Christian Service Society (CSS), Khulna, Bangladesh)
- Hasan Mehedi, Chief Executive (Member Secretary, CLEAN Trustee Board)
- Sharmin Zaman Kakoli, Treasurer (Chairperson, Angina Real Estate Limited, Khulna, Bangladesh)
- Kushal Roy, Steering Committee Member (Associate Professor, Environmental Science Discipline, Khulna University)
- Tamanna Akter Lipi, Steering Committee Member (Director, CLEAN Travels, Khulna, Bangladesh)
- Monower Mostafa, Trustee (Executive Director, Development Synergy Institute (DSI), Dhaka, Bangladesh)
- Mohammad Kamruzzaman, Trustee (Managing Director, Angina Real Estate Limited, Khulna, Bangladesh)
- Nurul Alam Masud, Trustee (Chief Executive, Participatory Research and Action Network (PRAN), Noakhali, Bangladesh)
- Tarik-Uz-Zaman, Trustee (Proprietor, Bari Enterprise, Khulna, Bangladesh)
- Nasima Akter Munni, Trustee (Coordinator, Participatory Research and Action Network (PRAN), Noakhali, Bangladesh)
- Asad-Uz-Zaman Asad, Trustee (Education Consultant, Access to Information (A2I) Project, Prime Minister’s Office, Dhaka, Bangladesh)
- Nargis Akter, Trustee (Banker, Mutual Trust Bank Limited, Dhaka, Bangladesh)
- Tauhedul Islam Shahazada, Trustee (Executive Director, Prantojon Trust, Barisal, Bangladesh)
- Shamima Akter, Trustee (Home Maker, Khulna, Bangladesh)
- Alamgir Islam Lablu, Trustee (Managing Director, SAFE Agro, Khulna, Bangladesh)