CLEAN (Coastal Livelihood and Environmental Action Network) has been established in 2010 with active participation of like-minded persons and environmental groups of the coastal zone of Bangladesh. On the way of journey, CLEAN plays the role of the secretariat of Bangladesh Working Group on External Debt (BWGED), Sundarbans Watch Group and SDG Watch Bangladesh. We promote Local Ecosystem Based Adaptation (LEBA) to ensure sustainable livelihoods of natural resource dependent coastal communities through environmental protection. To this end, we work with smallholders and women farmers, fisher folks, forest peoples, indigenous communities, and other producers to protect natural resources like forests, common water bodies, land resources, mineral resources and atmosphere from grabbing by powerful groups including International Financial Institutes (IFIs), corporate companies and vested interest groups. We also work with schoolteachers and students, academia, researchers, sociopolitical leaders, media, Local Government Institutes (LGIs) and local administrations to create enabling environment for people and the ecology. We serve the natural resource dependent people in the sectors of Agriculture and Livelihoods, Climate Change, Environment & Forest, Health & Population, Humanitarian Response, Socioeconomic Justice and Water Governance.
MISSION & VISION
Vision: to establish poverty free, environment friendly secular society with equity and justice.
Mission: to ensure environment friendly sustainable development and smallholder producers' rights through delivering essential supports to the deprived communities, service delivery, social action research, campaign and advocacy.
CLEAN is governed by 5-members Steering Committee who are elected by 15-members Trustee Board for every five years. The Trustees represent the society's most intellectual part from all over the coastal zone of Bangladesh. The Steering Committee sits quarterly while the Trustee Board sits half-yearly to assess the progress of programmes and endorse activities, financial dealings and future plans. Annual Meeting of the Trustee Board is the highest authority of CLEAN to approve annual programmes, activities, financial reports and future plans.
We work directly in the southwest coastal zone of Bangladesh consisting Khulna, Bagerhat, Satkhira, Jessore and Narail district. We implement our programs in the other districts such as Barisal, Barguna, Bhola, Chittagong, Comilla, Cox's Bazar, Feni, Jhalokathi, Kishoreganj, Natore, Noakhali, Patuakhali, Pirojpur, Sunamganj and Sylhet through our networking and ally organizations.
- Hasan Mehedi Chief Executive
- Mahbub Alam Prince Programme Coordinator
- Shuborna Islam Disa Finance and Admin Officer
- Sajjad Hossain Tuhin Research Coordinator
- Utsargo Roy ICT Coordinator
- Aruba Sultana Mitu Research Officer
- Tarik-Uz-Zaman Tarik Community Mobilizer
- Anik Hasan Information Management Officer
- Avilash Roul, Principal Scientist and Guest Faculty at IGCS of IIT Madras, Chennai, India
- Gouranga Nandy, Bureau Chief, Daily Kaler Kantho and Contributor, BBC Bangla, Khulna, Bangladesh
- Humayun Kabir Boby, Chief, Protinidhi Sangskriti Parishad, Khulna, Bangladesh
- Khasru Chowdhury, Environment and Forest Advisor, Daily Prothom Alo, Dhaka, Bangladesh
- Vidya Dinker, President, Indian Social Action Forum (INSAF), New Delhi, India
- Ziaul Hoque Mukta, General Secretary, Campaign for Sustainable Rural Livelihoods (CSRL), Dhaka, Bangladesh
- Sazzadur Rahim Pantha, Chairperson
- Hasan Mehedi, Members Secretary
- Sharmin Zaman Kakoli, Treasurer
- Tamanna Akter Lipi, Steering Committee Member
- Nurul Alam Masud, Steering Committee Member
BOARD OF TRUSTEES
- Alamgir Islam Lablu, Trustee (Managing Director, SAFE Agro, Khulna, Bangladesh)
- Asad-Uz-Zaman Asad, Trustee (Education Consultant, Access to Information (A2I) Project, Prime Minister's Office, Dhaka, Bangladesh)
- Kushal Roy, Steering Committee Member (Associate Professor, Environmental Science Discipline, Khulna University)
- Mohammad Kamruzzaman, Trustee (Managing Director, Angina Real Estate Limited, Khulna, Bangladesh)
- Monower Mostafa, Trustee (Executive Director, Development Synergy Institute (DSI), Dhaka, Bangladesh)
- Nargis Akter, Trustee (Banker, Mutual Trust Bank Limited, Dhaka, Bangladesh)
- Nasima Akter Munni, Trustee (Coordinator, Participatory Research and Action Network (PRAN), Noakhali, Bangladesh)
- Nurul Alam Masud, Trustee (Chief Executive, Participatory Research and Action Network (PRAN), Noakhali, Bangladesh)
- Sazzadur Rahim Pantha, Chairperson (Director, Christian Service Society (CSS), Khulna, Bangladesh)
- Shamima Akter, Trustee (Home Maker, Khulna, Bangladesh)
- Sharmin Zaman Kakoli, Treasurer (Chairperson, Angina Real Estate Limited, Khulna, Bangladesh)
- Tamanna Akter Lipi, Steering Committee Member (Director, CLEAN Travels, Khulna, Bangladesh)
- Tarik-Uz-Zaman, Trustee (Proprietor, Bari Enterprise, Khulna, Bangladesh)
- Tauhedul Islam Shahazada, Trustee (Executive Director, Prantojon Trust, Barisal, Bangladesh)
- Hasan Mehedi, Chief Executive (Member Secretary, CLEAN Trustee Board)